29 May 2011

Spring antique fair


The weather was misty and damp almost all day. The sun came out about 2.30 which helped dry out my vintage blankets. I sold a lot of them including the blue and white check Horn Bros, from Lindsay, Ontario, you see on the bottom right of the rack. I am finding more customers interested in the old Canadian mills and I wish I had taken pics of the labels. I'll start doing that and post a flickr section, after all I have to use my $22.50 a year pro account.
Needless to say all my Whitney/Hudson Bay/Trapper blankets went, many customers think they were made in Canada and are horrified to learn they were made in England....Whitney to be precise. They are also willing to pay more for the HB label when a Trapper or Indian point is exactly the same thing. Although I think it is rather unprofessional to just lay the blankets on the ground the majority of the sales come from there (if its not broken, don't fix it)



Scarves and fabrics looking a bit of a mess by mid afternoon. Trade was steady all day and I did not even get a chance to see a couple of the over 300 booths. Next time I will send R out to photograph.


I said goodbye to the 30s School House quilt, its always been a favorite, as well as the Wheel of Fortune depression era quilt top, bottom left of rack, that is going to South Africa. Below that you can just spot an 19th century postage stamp Irish Chain top that also found a new home.


All in all a very good day.

10 comments:

  1. What a fun day! Really neat stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely fabric, and the school house quilt is gorgeous, no wonder it sold. Why would they be horrified that the blankets were English?? Tam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting to see the Horn Bros. blanket - my mother in law used to work there at one time. Glad the gloomy day didn't cause too much trouble with your sales.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what lovely things you have Jan:) I am glad one of them headed to South Africa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see that you unloaded some items in spite of the heavy weather. Wow, 300 sellers?
    Alysen

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry the sun didn't shine on you, but glad the Sales fairies did♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like an AMAZING day - well done!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could not make the Christie show this spring...it is ALWAYS a day I look forward to.
    I'll be there in the fall though. Glad to hear you were kept hopping and visited by many happy customers
    Thanks for visiting my blog and the lovely comment you leave

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful sounds like you had a lovely and productive day. Well done and one of your beautiful quilts is headed to my homeland lovely ;~D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I would have loved to have a rummage through your scarves and fabrics. Of course, I always take the time to fold them back in place :)

    Congratulations on those sales!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...